Welcome to Our World

Welcome to Our World
Greetings

Monday, November 8, 2010

Abraham Lincoln


A few weeks ago I watch a documentary about the events that followed the assignation of Abraham Lincoln.  After his death his body was placed on a train and taken back to his home.  Along the way many people view his remains.  I hope, I have the Lincoln story correct.  With this as little background of a revered western president, we from the west may see customs in Cambodia in a different light.  A few days ago a friend of mine took me to a wat-pagoda in Cambodia to view the remains his grandfather.  My friend is a medical student.  In order to save money he purchased the embalming fluid and preserved the body himself.  His grandfather, who was the leader of the wat, now lies in a room at the wat for passer bys to see.  His body is encased in Plexiglas clouded with moisture which obscures some of the view.  When I viewed the body two months had passed since his death.  He will remain in the wat for 100 days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment